Read Windows Live File Format CD on Ubuntu

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 24 17:01:43 UTC 2011

On 24 September 2011 17:53, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Ioannis Vranos
> <ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a friend who uses Windows 7 (I have not managed to convert him
>>> yet) who is asking for help burning CDs.
>>> [1] explains that there are two formats that can be used when burning,
>>> Mastered and Live File Format (of which there are several versions).
>>> If he uses Live File Format will I be able to read the CD under
>>> Ubuntu?  I was surprised to find that Google did not help me.  He is
>>> remote so I cannot try it and see.
>>

>> I think the "Mastered Format" is ISO 9660, and the "Live Format" is UDF.
>>

>> Even if this isn't the case, I think both will work in Ubuntu.
>

> Just scrolled down at your link, and it says that indeed the "Live
> Format" is UDF, and the next table below it, looks like ISO 9660 as I
> said.

I had missed the significance of UDF there.  In fact looking at the
wikipedia entry for UDF [1] I see that the versions of MS Live Format
map directly to the UDF versions.  Remarkable.  Though I am not sure
about the MS comment about version 2.5 being "designed" for Vista.
Strangely Wikipedia makes no mention of this :)

Many thanks

Colin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format