Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 24 05:29:15 UTC 2011

On 24/09/11 15:13, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 24/09/11 03:43, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> (BTW, was that the 32- or the 64-bit version you were trialling?)
>> I'm intrigued - is there really that much difference generally between
>> the two?
>
> I believe so but as I have never used the 64-bit I really do not know.
> From what I have been reading, the 64-bit sometimes has bigger hassles
> than the 32-bit - eg, flash was/(?)still is unavailable in the 64-bit
> version.
>
> However, I am not an authority on this so someone else would be able
> to answer your question. Alternatively, as a starter, have a look at
> the wikipedia entry.
>
> BC

Oh! I just realised that I should have qualified what I wrote by stating
that the differences I was referring to were aimed at performance and
not at the actual features of the 32-/64-bit versions. What you get is
the same in both versions, but how they perform may be different (eg the
32-bit version can only operate with a max of 4GB of RAM while the
64-bit version can handle quite a bit more). Hasve a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit.

BC

--
Talk is cheap - until you hire a lawyer.