Nvidia driver problem

Jon Anderson jbander at izoom.net
Fri Sep 23 04:47:50 UTC 2011

when I lspci -v I get kernal driver in use  -Nvidia, under that is says
Kernal modules and list nvidia- current( the one I thought I
needed)nvidia-173, nouveau, nvidiafb---I think the nvidia-current is
270.41.06 and it shows that that is not the one in use. In additional
drivers program it list two drivers Nvidia-current and nvidia-173. I
have activated the nvidia- (version current) [recommended] and it has
the green dot verifying that it is activated . But right across the top
it says no proprietary drivers are in use on this system and at the
bottom of additional drivers it says this driver is activated but not
currently being used.
     I'm trying to get this system not to freeze ,it won't work but a
few minutes in normal video configeration, I have to select the lower
video level when I boot and then on the last page i select back to x and
that is the only way it will work for 1/2 hour -2 hours then it also
freezes.