disk layout

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 15:43:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>  has members:
>>        /dev/sdb1
>>        /dev/sdc1
>>  contains:
>>        LVM volume group VG0
>>                VG0--backup
>>                VG0--media
>>                VG0--share
>>

>> It is possible that one of the graphical tools, such as parted, will
>> present an easier way of building the structure.
>>

>> Growing beyond the 1TB disk size is probably not going to work, as the
>> mdadm tool doesn't appear to support expanding the size/number of
>> stripes (you need the members of the RAID-1 mirror to be RAID-0
>> structures before it is possible to expand beyond a single physical
>> partition).
>>

>> > Thanks, as always for the input.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Jack
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> J, Tim
> Thank you very much for the missing linkage! I used the parted (actually
> gparted to see how that tool worked) to do the initial steps, but when I
> looked at the options on the gui (format the volume, partition the volume OR
> format the disc, partition the disc) I decided I'd rather know what's going
> on under the hood than try and decipher someone's idea of what that
> functionality may mean. I can always go back and read the user land info on
> the gui to get familiar with the meaning behind the push buttons but it's
> more important for me to really _know_ how the process works.
>
> In reading through the man pages on mdadm, I find that there is a flag that
> can be set to declare the style of metadata. In the man pages, the options
> are that if 0 or 0.9 is used, it limits arrays to 28 component devices and
> also limits devices of type 1 or greater to 2 TB. However, if the option
> chosen is either 1, 1.1, or 1.2, no such limitation is documented. It
> further says that if the value of default is given, it equates to 1.2. Each
> of these metadata options equates to a different version of superblock
> format such that -
> 1 (or 1.0) = stores the metadata at the end
> 1.1 = stores metadata at the start
> 1.2 (or default) = stores metadata at a 4k offset from the start
>
> The two additional types listed (ddf, imsm) deal with the container type I
> mentioned above.
>
> In doing a bit of googling, it seems that the 1.2 option is almost the
> overwhelming favorite. Do you (or anyone in the list) have an idea as to why
> a 4k offset makes more sense than storing the metadata either at the start
> or end of the device?
>
> In looking into mdadm a bit more, I find that one of the raid device types
> that is supported is called a container. The man description presents an
> interesting possibility for possibly extending the 2TB physical limitation
> (at least in a logical fashion). I need to read up more on this
> topic,though.
>
> Again, I greatly appreciate the responses!

Here's what I did and where I'm fuzzy -
1. created /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc as 'fd' (Linux RAID auto-detect)
2. create the RAID 1
    mdadm --create /dev/md0 --metadata=1.2 --level=1 --homehost=Theo
--name=TheoMirror1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
3. Create logical volume group
    vgcreate TheoVG0 /dev/md0

    run vgdisplay to verify - OK

4. create logical volumes in the group
    lvcreate -L200G -n TheoVG0_Backup TheoVG0
    lvcreate -L700G -n TheoVG0_Media TheoVG
    lvcreate -L31.5G -n TheoVG0_Share TheoVG

   run lvdisplay to verify - OK

5. Create filesystems on logical volumes
    fdisk /dev/TheoVG/TheoVG_Backup

    [No Partition Table]

   create new primary partition as ext4, name = Backup

    repeat for the other two logical volumes, name = Media, Share

After this, I opened the disk utility to see what can be seen. The raid
shows up and there is a progress meter moving slowly that is labeled
'syncronizing'; the logical volume group and the volumes within it are also
showing up. The three logical volumes say that they are associated as:
Backup = /dev/dm-0
Media = /dev/dm-1
Share = /dev/dm-2

So it appears that all is ok, but I'm wondering - do I need to create those
same logical volumes on the 2nd disc or when the raid finishes syncronizing
will this be done as a function of the raid1?

Thanks again for the help - maybe I'm just confusing myself with this, but
since I want this to be a permanent layout for my home server, I'd like to
get it right and understand how this is configured properly.