Thunderbird/gmane?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 15:25:51 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 09:12 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 06:50 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:

>>> Oh right, I forgot that it doesn't show up unless you add the "Mail
>>> Views" object to the mail toolbar. Go View->Toolbars->Customize->drag
>>> Mail View to mail toolbar. Set selector to all.
>>
>> OK, I have done this and it is set to all.
>>

>>> You might also check the indivdual retention policy of the newsgroup.
>>> Right click on the newsgroup -> Properties -> Retention Policy tab ->
>>> make sure it uses "My account settings", or either that the individual
>>> settings are sensible. While you have the Folder Properties window open
>>> you could click on the Repair Folder button located on the General
>>> Information tab and see if that helps.
>>>

>> I did both of these steps but still can't see messages that have been
>> read.
>>
>> To summarize my settings:
>>
>> View-->Folders-->All
>> View-->Sort by-->Order received
>> View-->Messages-->All
>> View-->Threads-->All
>> View-->Headers-->Normal
>> View-->Message Body-->Plain text
>> Newsgroup-->Properties-->Retention Policy-->My Account Settings
>> Account Settings-->Synchronization&storage-->Don't delete any messages
>>
>> What else could be effecting me viewing previously read messages?
>>
>> Regards, Jim
>>

> close Tbird and go to your profile folder. sub-folder News holds several
> .msf files - delete them /and/ the file named panacea.dat in the next
> level up. They will be recreated by Tbird.
>
> Restart Tbird - you may have lost some settings so reset them.

Ok, doing this plus dropping down one more sub folder to news.gmane.org
and deleting the .msf file worked briefly. After Tbird downloaded all
the 240,000 plus headers it displayed both the read and unread messages.
But when I switched to another newsgroup and then back Tbird darkened on
the screen and became unresponsive.  A eventually a dialog popped up
saying a script was misbehaving and did I want to cancel it. I cancelled
it and all the unread messages disappeared again.

I want to thank you and sktsee for pointing me in the right direction.
Now I know how to display them I can work on the other problem.

Thanks again to you both,  Jim