partition question

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 14 16:24:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:57:10 +0100
Tony Arnold wrote:

> You may be able to juggle things around using gparted from a booted
> Ubuntu live CD. If you can make space just above the /usr partition,
> gparted can extend the partition into this space.
>
> If there is a partition in use next to the /usr partition, then you may
> be able to shrink it, move it up and then extend the /usr partition into
> the free space created.

Thanks.  I thought about using gparted, but wondered if making changes at
that level would screw up the UUIDs and thus the mounting.

Basically, I have (don't ask me why!):-

sda5: empty
sda6: /var, which is only 30% used
sda7: /usr

The ideal would be to delete sda5 and to use the space to extend sda7
but can this sort of thing be done on an existing system? Wouldn't that just
screw everything up? Or could I work out the new UUIDs and simply edit
fstab and live happily ever after?  Presumably I would need to do this from
the live CD.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber