partition question

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 14:57:10 UTC 2011

Richard,

On 14/09/11 15:00, R Kimber wrote:
> My /usr partition is getting fairly full (86% use) and I wondered if there
> was anything simple that I could do to extend its effective size before any
> problems arise.  I have plenty of space on other partitions, including one
> that is unused.
>
> Of course, I could re-install, or I could use LVM, but I was wondering
> whether there was a simpler approach - e.g. by making a link (hard or soft?)
> between /usr and a directory on the empty partition?  Would the system see
> that as just one larger /usr?
>
> I'm not looking for the ideologically purest way of doing it - in the long
> run I shall re-install and re-partition - just the simplest and quickest to
> avoid any immediate problems while I get on with other stuff.

You may be able to juggle things around using gparted from a booted
Ubuntu live CD. If you can make space just above the /usr partition,
gparted can extend the partition into this space.

If there is a partition in use next to the /usr partition, then you may
be able to shrink it, move it up and then extend the /usr partition into
the free space created.

Regards,
Tony.

--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk