How to get hostnames via DHCP with a "classic" network configuration ?

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Mon Oct 31 19:00:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:36:01 +0100, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

> I've just setup a small LAN consisting of a server running Ubuntu 10.04
> Server and a bunch of clients running Ubuntu 11.10.
>
> On the server I installed dhcp3-server

Is there a reason why you're using dhcp3?
If you really have to go with dhcp3 "dynamic dns" is the solution.
But for a home network it might be too complex.

I was at the same point as you some time ago. I gave up with dhcp3 and
dynamic dns and I went for dnsmasq [1].
It combines dns and dhcp and is MUCH easier to configure.

Cheers
Ramon

[1] http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html