some Unity configuration issues

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Thu Oct 27 10:20:29 UTC 2011

I tried to approach Unity with an open mind this morning, and I'm
impressed with some things (especially being able to use LWin and a
number shown on the launcher --- that alone would save me quite a bit
of wasted time moving my hand to the mouse and back), but I'm unable
to figure out some basic configuration problems.

I have two monitors side by side.  The launcher appears on the LH side
of the RH monitor.  How can I move it to the LH side of the LH monitor
(or the RH side of the RH monitor, for that matter --- or anywhere but
in the middle)?

There are some junk items I don't want in the RH corner of the panel;
how can I remove them?  AFAICT they're locked and not unlockable.

Unity comes with four workspaces in a 2×2 arrangement --- where can I
change that?  (I want four workspaces in one row, so I only need
ctl-alt-left and ctl-alt-right enabled to move between them.)

I don't like having a window's main menu bar appear in the panel ("Mac
style"); is there any way to move it universally back to the top of
each window, where I'm used to finding it?

Thanks,
Adam