What should I suggest my Aunt?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Oct 25 13:16:15 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 08:04 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 05:56 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My aunt (who has been a Windows user ever) asked me for Linux. I myself
>> being new, told her Ubuntu and after a couple of days she asks me to please
>> suggest her about one of following:
>>
>> 1) PCLinuxOS
>> 2) openSUSE
>> 3) Ubuntu
>> 4) Linux Mint
>>
>> I suggested Ubuntu but she just asked me a brief review (if I could). What
>> she wants is just the general works she was doing in Windows but of more
>> concern - stability as once she installs she would not go for a change in
>> future and then starting learning that one flavor. I know for sure PCLinuxOS
>> and Linux Mint are easy for beginners (read and knew) but Ubuntu and
>> openSuse could be of more than just having fun! They could (what I guess)
>> provide to become a techie-wizard from a non-techie wizard.
>>
>> I would be thankful if you can just let me know anything of the great
>> experiences people here are having.
>
> Win7. That or Ubuntu 10.04 (an LTS release).
>
> Seriously. I hate to say that, but I no longer recommend Ubuntu
> 11.x/Ubuntu any longer. I'm in the process of reverting my customers  to
> an LTS and/or other distributions. My primary issue is the inability to
> have multiple application windows screens shown for click access.

That is my number one complaint also.  There are others but this one
just makes it so uncomfortable to work with.

> Ubuntu 11.04 at least had the ability to have a GNOME 2 bottom panel
> (which I rely heavily upon), but 11.10 took that away completely. The

Have you ever tried AWN (Avant Window Navigator)? I've been
experimenting with it on my laptop running 11.10 when I have time.  It
lets you put a bar/panel at the bottom somewhat like a Gnome2 panel,
where icons for open apps show up.

> 11.10 GNOME 3/gnome-shell provides a crippled top and
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.desktop/2938
> [Re: Default Desktop Experience for 11.04]
> http://img840.imageshack.us/f/screenshot9sw.png/
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/screenshot4wz.png/
>
> Full thread:
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.desktop/2905>