ubuntu 11-10

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 20:21:47 UTC 2011

On 24 October 2011 11:29, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> All,
> Thanks for the info. Gary especially thanks for pointing out that VMware
> doesn't allow GLX extensions.
> As I wanted to tame Unity I acquired ccsm (Compizconfig-session-manager) but
> that is practically useless. You can set all fancy things to windows etc.
> but simple things like moving the controls from upper left corner to upper
> right corner (as it should be even since the first MS Windows) cannot be
> done

The window controls are in the top left because that way they do not
move when the window is maximised and the title bar merges with the
top panel. It does make sense, honestly!

You can move them by using the GNOME tweak tool or by editing the
settings with gconf-editor, but then, when you maximise a window, they
leap from right to left. I think that this is more inconvenient than
just learning the new position!

For what it is worth, they've been on the left under Mac OS X for over
a decade and everyone seems to manage fine. :¬)

> just as diminishing the ridiculously large size of the icons in the
> menu-bar has no item (or I didn't find it due to the peculiar nomenclature
> used by the developers. question: is that apple-speak?).

No, the Unity devs have invented their own lexicon of terms:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/10228/whats-the-right-terminology-for-unitys-ui-elements

> I find also the the fact that synaptic is not included in the standard
> applications shows me that developers follow the MS and Apple attitude that
> users lack the ability to chose their own applications and can only chose
> what they deem appropriate for them.

You can install Synaptic from the repositories if you wish.

I think the idea is that the Ubuntu Software Centre is now good enough
on its own.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com