ProFTPd access to /var/www

Oliver Marshall Oliver.Marshall at g2support.com
Tue Oct 18 11:03:24 UTC 2011

Hi chaps,

Has anyone got FTP working so that an external party can FTP to /var/www ?

I've been trying for ages. I'm easily on my 50th link from google searches and I've tried ProFTPd and some others but just cant get it working.

I'm currently running ProFTPd (using the GADMIN GUI). I gave up trying to create a dedicated user for this party and just used the logon details of the main account on the server. In ProFTPd I've assigned them permissions for the /var/www directory, but that doesn't work. They just get a permission denied when changing folders in their FTP client.

So I used chown and chgrp to give that account permission to the /var/www directory but that hasn't worked.

SCP isn't an option, though I haven't had much more joy with getting WinSCP working either, though I'm told that's a limitation on WinSCP rather than SCP as a whole.

Could someone spare 5 mins to give me some advice on how this should be set up ?

Olly