Adobe Viewer Problems

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Tue Oct 18 05:00:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 20:32 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 17 October 2011 19:14, Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com> wrote:
> > The reason I selected Linux is so I do not have to put up with Big
> > Corporation's BS.
> >
> > Today someone sent me a PDF file in an email.
> >
> > I tried to open it with "Document Viewer" and I get a page that says
> >
> > "For the best experience, open this PDF portfolio in
> > Acrobat 9 or Adobe Reader 9, or later."
> >
> > It will not let me see the PDF file!
> >
> > `So another option in my email is to Open with gv
> >
> > Error:
> >
> > (And the Ghostscript Message box will not let me cut and paste the
> > error! WHY??)
> >
> > Error: /rangecheckGPL Ghostscript 8.71: Unrecoverable Error, exit code 1
> > in -- discardtransparancygroup
> >
> > So another option is to use Gimp Image Viewer. I get the same image
> > about using version 9!
> >
> > So I take their advice and download the file. The only instructions are
> > if a popup window upens and asks to save or run select run. My popup
> > window saya save or cancel. So I choose save.
> >
> > Now I do not know what to do with the .bin file.
> >

> > kip at Red:~/Downloads$ AdbeRdr9.4.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin
> > AdbeRdr9.4.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin: command not found
> >
> > kip at Red:~/Downloads$ ./AdbeRdr9.4.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin
> > bash: ./AdbeRdr9.4.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin: Permission denied
> >
> > kip at Red:~/Downloads$ sudo ./AdbeRdr9.4.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin
> > [sudo] password for kip:
> > sudo: ./AdbeRdr9.4.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin: command not found
> >

> > So I save it and open my Windows XP machine. To make sure the PDF File
> > is good.
> >

> > I swear in the past day or so it upgraded Adobe Reader. It seems to
> > upgrade every two weeks or so. It will not open.
> >
> > It says I have 8 and the current version is 10.1.1.
> >
> > So I download it, and it downloads Adobe Reader which I say yes to, and
> > also downloads Chrome which it never asked me about. :)
> >
> > It stops the upgrade until I close the window that caused this mess to
> > begin with.  So I close the window. It takes forever to download amd
> > install, (>15 minutes) and I have Fiber Optics to the house.
> >
> > Then it needs to reboot the computer. So I have to save everything I
> > have been working on with that computer so Adobe can make it reboot. :)
> >
> > So he sent me a PDF Portfolio! Which is a PDF file with a number of
> > files like PDF, docx, and rtf files. (First time I have seen that and I
> > do not like it.)
> >

> > What do I have to do to get this to work on my Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS
> > computer?  I obviously do not know what to do with their .bin file.
>
> Try Evince, which GNOME calls "Document Viewer", I think. It's the
> free PDF viewer, not Ghostscript, which is for EPS files. Installed as
> standard, or you can add it from Synaptic or Software Centre,
> depending on what version of Ubuntu you're running.
>
> Failing that, you will have to set the downloaded .bin file as
> runnable before you can execute it. Downloading and running files is
> [...]

Evince or "Document Viewer" WAS the first thing I tried.

If you look at may last paragraph I say "Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS" How
should I specify my version of the distro?

I was able to download Adobe 9.0 from the repositories, and it does not
work right. There are 7 files in the portfolio and the reader only lets
me see 1. The version on my Windows XP does see them all.

I am working at least.

Kip