No email in 11.10

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 17 18:02:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:33:38 +0300, Donkey Hottie wrote:

> 17.10.2011 17:09, Aart Koelewijn kirjoitti:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just upgraded my laptop (luckily only my laptop) to 11.10. Then I
>> found it does not have Evolution any more as an email client. So I
>> tried Thunderbird. But Thunderbird has some configuration wizard that
>> makes it impossible for me to configure it in such a way that I can
>> receive and send emails.
>>
>> In short, I have my own email domain. The mailserver for that is run on
>> my desktop. My laptop gets its email with fetchmail from my desktop and
>> sends it through my desktop using a vpn-tunnel. For this I run exim on
>> both my desktop and laptop.
>>
>> I can't find a way to configure Thunderbird to work in this way. It
>> only wants to make a pop or imap connection to my provider, but there I
>> have a bSMTP connection, and the email is divided over the different
>> users by the email-server on my desktop.
>>
>> So I either want evolution back, or a way to configure Thunderbird to
>> run in the old fashioned unix way with a local mailserver and a spool
>> file. How can I reach those goals?
>>
>> Aart
>>

> You could try to enter email "mynick at desktop" to the Thunderbird Wizard.
> Once it finds the connection and is happy, you can the edit the Account
> seetting for that, and fix the email address, and other settings.
>
> It is the over-clever wizard that is the problem in TB... But you can
> cheat some with it ;)

That is why I hate those wizards, they are never flexible enough. I
already tried to fill in localhost as mailserver, but that would not
work. A real clever wizard would just take the settings I have used for
evolution, and there would have been nothing to do for me.

I will try some more cheating (don't tell my wife).

Aart