No email in 11.10

David Shochat david.shochat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:16:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Aart Koelewijn <aart at mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> ... So I either want evolution back, or a way to configure Thunderbird to run
> in the old fashioned unix way with a local mailserver and a spool file.
> How can I reach those goals?

I think you're talking about movemail. I have found that TB has always
supported this, although I initially had to do it by creating the
account to use POP-3 and then manually modifying preferences.js to
switch it to movemail. Based on a recent Google search, it may be that
you can now configure a movemail account in TB using the GUI, just as
you could do in TB's predecessor, Mozilla Mail. I have needed this
capability both at work, and at home to receive mail from cron (which
always goes to the spool file). Be careful with the permissions on
your spool file. Sometimes you have to tweak them so TB can read it.
I'll look when I get home, but meanwhile, try a Google search:
"Thunderbird movemail account". You'll still need to specify an SMTP
server for sending, but it can be anywhere.
-- David