odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

Icarus Alive icarus.alive at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 00:42:00 UTC 2011

Wireless routers sell for like $60 these days, sometimes even cheaper.
Get an OpenWRT compatible router (which usually means, is a good
router) and hack away :-). Of course, OpenWRT (or various avatars,
DD-WRT etc.) aren't exactly for the the weak at heart, but for a well
supported router (and a specific model/revision), things can go as
smoothly as fire-n-forget.

If you get the 802.11b/g/n router with MIMO (multi-antenna, i.e.
usually 2-3 antennas instead of a single one), and get yourself a
802.11n usb dongle, you could extend your range and your browsing
speed... theoretically upto 300Mbps.

Just a bit of caution... for the first time in my life, sitting close
to a made-in-east (they seem to have flooded the market with their
networking gear) 802.11b/g/n router, I felt which might have been
darn-too-strong radiation. This was while I was setting up the
network. Once setup, I place the darn-thing at a place which I am sure
is at-least 20ft. away from any human-being (or dog or cat), s.t. the
radiation exposure is min. However, the network rocks now. Amazing
strength.