11.10 post upgrade problem with Unity

ssc1478 ssc1478 at aim.com
Fri Oct 14 22:01:02 UTC 2011

I did the upgrade yesterday, and today I went into the cssm settings.  It
wasn't were I wanted to be so I clicked the button to leave (I think it says
back?) and nothing happened.  I found that I lost complete control so I hard
booted.

Now when it boots up, the unity, dash, and compiz doesn't seem to be loading
or at least not working properly.  I get the desktop and can click the items
on the desktop but don't have access to any menus at all.  I have a "reload
compiz" icon on my desktop and clicked it but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone have any ideas besides starting over and doing a fresh install?
 (Which I can see having to do but hope not to.)

Thanks!
Phil