how to change DNS settings network manager over writes every thing

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:35:07 UTC 2011

On 5 October 2011 06:22, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Its greyed out.
>>
>> I don't know whether this is a valid question or not, but is the user
>> you are logged on as an administrator?
> I am logged in with the account which was created during the installation.
> If this is different from admin account then what should I do?
> I only have one user account on my system and I can do sudo on command
> line with it to work.
>
>> Alternatively, which version of Ubuntu are you using and is it all up
>> to date?
> It is 11.04
>
>>Run Update Manager and click Check to see.  I ask this as
>> there is at least one bug in Launchpad which sounds similar to your
>> issue, but this was fixed some time ago.
>
> Ok on my update manager following packages are to be updated
>
> -> Safe and easy browser from Mozilla
> -> Unity app menu integration for firefox
> -> safe and easy browser from Mozilla -Gnome support
> -> English language pack for firefox
> -> enhanced multithread support syslogd
> -> Ubuntu specific configuration defaults and apt support for firefox
>
> I hope any of the above is irrelevant for my problem.Since the
> connection is damn slow so downloading 17 Mb will take more than an
> hour.
>
>> Do you see the same issue on the wired connection?
>
> No I do not see the same issue on the wired connection.

Sorry I am out of ideas, except that some (including myself) who have
had problems with Network Manager have had better results with wicd.
You could install that and give it a go.  I think it is only a few
hundred kB download and is very easy to setup.

One other final thought, is Available to All Users checked for the
connection?  If so, and if not greyed out, then try clearing it.

Colin

>> On a side note I doubt very much if you will see any noticeable
>> improvement using alternative DNS servers.
>
> I understand.It might be poor quality of service by ISP but to be able
> to debug it I noticed this.
>

> --
> Regards
> Abhi