Virtual box latest version?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 20:29:40 UTC 2011

On 10/01/2011 08:51 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 01/10/11 15:27, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> [cut]
>
>> That's the problem it says I am running 4.0.12 r72916 and when I click
>> on 'check for updates' it says I have the latest version. How did you
>> get 4.1.2 r73507? Did you install it manually or was it an update from
>> some 4.0 version?
>>
>> Regards, Jim
>>
>> Jim,
>
> I had the same problem and it seems that the change from 4.0.xxx to
> 4.1.xxx is viewed as a version change, rather than an update. This
> means that you need to select 4.1 in Synaptic, from where you will be
> advised that this means un-installing 4.0. After that you're off to
> the races:-)
>
> Peter HB

Jim, I have a recollection from when I did a version change that the
guest additions can become a problem.

The solution was to uninstall the guest additions in the VM, shut down
the VM, unstall the old version, then install the new version, and
reinstall the guest additions.

PLEASE NOTE:  There are a number of reasons I could be wrong,[1] if
someone knows better for sure, please chime in.

[1] My logs and I are in different places, but since Jim might be trying
this soon, I thought I would mention it.  Also, I was doing version
upgrades and importing a VM at the same time, so mt problem  might have
been different.