[ADMIN] Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sat Oct 1 17:41:48 UTC 2011

compdoc wrote:

> I'm sure people looking for answers appreciate any free help they can
> get.

Yes. But 'help' is at least as operative a word as 'free'. Free but
useless is still useless.

Generally, if someone's asking how to do X with Y, telling them that Y
is rubbish and they should be using Z is *not* helping, not least
because switching to Z is almost always more complicated than making Y
do whatever it is that they want.

If I posted asking for help making, say, Sieve work between Dovecot
and Postfix, I'd be a bit miffed if I was told that I should just use
Zimbra. Equally, I'm not really sure why it would be appropriate to
respond to someone asking how to, say, change the icons in Unity with
a suggestion that they install XFCE or Arch or whatever.

--
Avi