Ubuntu loosing its popularity

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 30 18:02:58 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 11:45 AM, Art Edwards wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 03:17 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> Le 29/11/2011 17:00, Art Edwards a écrit :
>>> Except that Unity is more like Britney Spears than Archie Shepp.
>>
>> Since I use Ubuntu in a professional context, I usually stick to LTS
>> versions (currently 10.04). Out of curiosity, I installed 11.10 on a
>> sandbox machine, and I admit I liked it. I guess I'll check it out
>> more in detail next summer, when it's more mature and stable.
>>
>> I don't quite get all the WM-bashing in the Linux world. I've been
>> using KDE since 2.x, GNOME since 1.x, XFCE since 3.x, Windowmaker
>> since 0.x, and I just adapted. It's like driving different
>> motorcycles. Since every single one has its quirks, you just adapt
>> without making a fuzz.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niki
>>
> I have also used a variety of window managers, although I'm always
> conscious of where I'm getting the most done. So in 1997 I was just so
> happy to have X-windows on a home machine--I wasn't very fussy. As I
> migrated from RH 4.1 to Suse, which was KDE, and then to Debian, the
> wm's looked either like microsoft windows 3.1, or CDE. Then gnome came
> out, and it was clear that this was a superior system, because I just
> found myself getting more done. Note that it's not just a wm, it's an
> environment. You can run either the metacity or the compiz window
> managers inside gnome. Every now and then I would check out KDE
> because it had such a great look, but within days, I found myself back
> in gnome because I was more productive. So, I'm not so big on
> adapting, if adapting means using an inferior product. To bend your
> motorcycle analogy a little bit, in 1958 Ford introduced the Edsel as
> a visionary car. It was a pig. The difference is that they didn't
> excoriate their customers for not embracing change, they just dropped
> it. To me Unity is Ubuntu's Edsel and Gnome 3 is gnome's Edsel. Worse,
> they have dropped their Thunderbird for their Edsel. So, the
> wm-bashing is because we have lost the best option. Luckily Xfce has
> progressed so that it is almost as good as Gnome 2. Based on the Xfce
> traffic on the list, gnome users are migrating their in large numbers,
> so Xfce will probably get really good quickly. I know that I'm not
> looking back, unless the MATE fork becomes stable, /and/ I find that
> I'm unhappy with Xfce, an unlikely situation.
>
> Art Edwards

I guess the only big deal with me is I like having six desktops that I
can go from one to the other on when doing video.  I usually  have 4 to5
programs running and go back and forth on them. Other than that I don't
have any problems with unity or what ever.  If it turns out that I can't
have my desktops I'll probably just stay with a version that has them.
I'll just keep it all on DVD and reinstall from them.   Doug