Using calibre safely?

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 23:21:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> For a few months now I've been using calibre to access the 100-or-so
> ebooks that I have (mostly DRM-free PDFs).
> I just became aware of a vulnerability built in to calibre.
> I am not enormously worried because this is a one-user system, and the
> vulnerability seems to involve privilege
> escalation by authorized users.
>
> On the other hand, it appears that my calibre is listening on a TCP
> port.  It's on a laptop behind a NAT router at
> the moment, so I'm still safe, but because I'd like to migrate to
> another system that is exposed to the net, I'd like
> it to stop network access because I'm not networking any of these
> books.  Not intentionally, anyway.
>
> I'm open to advice and suggestions, including replacing calibre with
> something else, but I have to end up with access to
> my library and reasonable security.
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

You might look at FBReader, available through the Ubuntu Software Center.
I have it installed on my tablet as well as my desktop.  Don't use it very
often as I am satisfied with the Aldiko reader for my tablet and usually
are working with Open Office or PDF docs on the desktop.
--

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball