Hardware question from "fly-over country"

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Nov 29 13:26:32 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 09:22 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm in RURAL SW Missouri. A local used/surplus computer store is
> offering a Dell Latitude D620 (4GB memory, 80GB hard drive, Intel Core
> Duo @ 2.4 GHz) for ~$500. It reportedly has the majority of
> manufacturer's warranty.
>
> Any comments on how suitable a Linux platform this would be?
>
> TIA

I would look around a bit. My other half just bought herself a BRAND NEW
Toshiba at Staples for just over $600 after the tax. Quad core, six gigs
memory, and I don't remember the hard drive size off hand. Way better
machine for almost the same money. They had one with similar specs with
a bigger screen and a BlueRay player for just over $700 I've seen some
new laptops advertised with specs similar to what your looking at for in
the two and three hundred dollar range. Laptop prices are way better
than they were just a couple years ago.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the  people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick  Henry -