Hardware question from "fly-over country"

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:56:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at pcnetinc.com>wrote:

> I'm in RURAL SW Missouri. A local used/surplus computer store is offering
> a Dell Latitude D620 (4GB memory, 80GB hard drive, Intel Core Duo @ 2.4
> GHz) for ~$500. It reportedly has the majority of manufacturer's warranty.
>
> Any comments on how suitable a Linux platform this would be?
>
> TIA

 Before laying out cash for a used machine check the online ads for all the
major retailers.
There are some very good deals for not much more money and you will be
buying a lot more machine for the price, including drives with zero hours
on them.
As a fair value comparison search ebay for the same/similar model and see
what kind of prices they are selling for.  Your comparable price should
include the shipping charges.
Basic rule of thumb for how well the system will function with Linux is to
look at the version of windows it runs.  If it will handle vista without
bogging down you should be golden.
Best of luck and heres hoping that somebody has a Merry Christmas with a
new 'puter.

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball
cap.”  - from a Facebook viral video
<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>