package updates

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 00:41:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:41:46PM +0000, James Tappin wrote:
>> Updates do not generally introduce new versions of packages (except at
>> the micro-version level), but provide fixes to the existing version. If
>> there are serious security issues the fixes will be backported to the
>> current version [I think but am not sure that the only time a major
>> version change would occur within a release would be when a security fix
>> could not be backported]. So in short I would not expect to see FF8 etc.
>> until version 12.04.
>
> The Mozilla products tend to be exceptions to this due to the way their
> product cycle works and the infeasibility of backporting security
> updates.  For example, Ubuntu 11.04 as released had Firefox 4.0, but
> Firefox 7.0.1 is currently in the security updates for 11.04.
>
> So, on the contrary, I think you can expect to see Firefox 8 in security
> updates for 11.04 and 11.10 fairly soon (I'm not giving away any secrets
> by saying this; they're undergoing testing in the
> ubuntu-mozilla-security PPA already).  Our security team keeps in close
> touch with Mozilla on this and has dedicated engineering time for
> keeping those packages up to date.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]

I for one have been unsure of Mozilla updates [currently using xubuntu
10.04]. I started using Seamonkey 6 months ago and there haven't been
any updates... and i think only one for Firefox. That made me think
that Chrome was a better safer bet. As for email i've found
Thunderbird almost unusable for imap as it's so slow - now switched to
Alpine [speed is amazing and i now prefer the text client].

james