installation doubt

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Nov 16 14:11:36 UTC 2011

On 11/16/2011 07:53 AM, Buggs Bunny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am coming directly from Windows XP, though I was not a windows admin
> but I have with my Ubuntu LTS 10.04 CD. Planing to install this in the
> hope that it is becoming the most popular distro. Said that, please let
> me know if during installation, what should I do:
>
> Create the separate partitions for each /, /home, /tmp, /usr etc....or
> not? Though its just a newbie talk, but at least I know the installation
> but don't know if should install separate each identities or not....?
>
> Regards,
> BB

I'm sure you will get replies to set up separate partitions for
everything. Which is probably a pretty good idea actually. I usually
just let the installer do whatever it does. Seems to work out just fine.

If I'm dual booting with Windows on a machine I use Windows to partition
off however much of the hard drive I want to give Linux. My thinking is
that Windows knows best how to deal with making sure it's files are safe
afterwards. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Then when
installing Linux I tell the installer to use whatever space I've set
aside and let it run. As I said, it seems to work just fine for me. So
far I've had very few issues.

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb."     - Benjamin Franklin -