Install onto USB

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:06:53 UTC 2011

On 15 November 2011 15:24, Richard Owlett <rowlett at pcnetinc.com> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:

>>> *IT DOES NOT* at least in my experience.
>>> I tried to install to a USB so my Windows(tm) hard rive would not be
>>> touched
>>> and I would be able to run the same Linux install on my desktop and my
>>> laptop.
>>>
>>> Evidently it is _Physically_ possible but the livecd doesn't let you do
>>> it
>>> unless you are already a guru. I've all but given up on Ubuntu being a
>>> usable/suitable/??? distro.
>>

>> Were you the chap that got Ubuntu on the USB key but GRUB on his hard
>> disk, so couldn't boot unless the key was inserted?
>>
>> That did sound very unfortunate!
>>

> Yes.

Ouch!

I think it is still a pretty good distro, though. I've tried them all,
pretty much, and IMHO Ubuntu is about as polished and flexible as it
gets. It or Mint, anyway.

I have a set of watchwords for people wanting to try out Linux for the
first time and get used to it. It avoids all the commonest bugbears,
gotchas and SNAFUs I've seen over the years. I think similar advice
ought to be given out more often.

[1] Use a desktop, not a laptop. Power management, screen resolutions
etc. are trickier on portables & all-in-ones.
[2] Make sure you have a /wired/ Ethernet connection to broadband
Internet, *not* wireless. A routed connection, no proxies needed.
[3] Don't dual-boot. Be prepared to wipe the whole hard disk and have
just Linux on it.
[4] Don't use a very new modern machine. Make sure it's at least 6mth
or so older than the distro you're trying.
[5] Use the latest version of the distro you're interested in. Don't
waste time on obsolete ones.
[6] Start with the 32-bit version. There's not much difference now,
but it's a safer bet.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com