perl locale issue

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 18:01:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:08:29AM -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I recently installed U10.4 LTS And wanted to run logwatch. Issuing
> the command gave a perl error about not having a locale set. Poking
> further revealed that locale isn't installed. So:
>
> # apt-get install locale
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package locale

The package is called 'locales', not 'locale' (however, you almost
certainly already have it installed, since it's part of the base
system).  However, installing it does not automatically generate all
locales anyway, since they take a lot of time and disk space to
generate.  You should run this instead:

  locale-gen en_US.UTF-8

... or whatever locale Perl is complaining about not having available.