Installed 11.04 on new hardware; no unity. What does it take?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 06:40:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:04:07 -0700
> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video.  I
> > installed a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity.  However,
> > it said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome.  What's up
> > with that?
> >
> > The mainboard runs 4-core AMD at 3.6 GHz, with 8 GB RAM.
> > Video card has 512MB cache.
> >
> > What other specifics do I need to know to figure this out?
> >

> As a new moderator, what you need to do /first/ is figure out how to
> post in this mailing list following the well-laid-out and very available
> rules:
>
> See this part:
is type usually, and do not use the various formatting thingies that I
would expect to create HTML (hmmm, well I have on occasion created a
link, which might do that, but did not on the subject email).

I've never had a complaint about HTML, nor ever had cause to suspect i
was sending such.  With gmail, I'm not exactly sure how to tell,
although I know how to turn all formatting off during composition.
Perhaps I'll have to make a habit of that, but I notice that when I do
that to this email, some links in your (Cybe R) message get flattened.
 I'm not sure who the culprit is.

None of this has to do with being a moderator, as that job does *not*
involve sending any mail at all to the list.  Nor do I moderate
anything based on presence or absence of markup.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD