Cut mouse polling rate in half

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:52:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:36, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> In the Olden Days, when there were lots of different mice, you had to
> have the right driver. If you had the wrong driver, the mouse would do
> things like rush to one corner, or off to one side, or leap about the
> screen. Some mice had higher
>
> Is it possible that any of the following are true:
>
> - it's an old mouse
> - it's a ball mouse (!)
> - it's an optical mouse on a mirrored or transparent or deeply
>  cracked/pitted surface
> - the optical opening is partly blocked eg by a hair

None of the above. It is a cheap USB optical mouse from China.
However, it is the only mouse small enough to fit my four-year-old's
small hand. The mouse works perfectly, however the "DPI" is very high.
I personally use a Logitech G500 with three "DPI" settings, this means
that as the DPI increases the mouse pointer moves further for each
unit of distance the mouse itself is moved. In other words, increased
delta. This little Chinese mouse has a "DPI", or reported delta,
higher than even the highest setting on the Logitech. This is the
exact opposite of what I'd want: for her I'd like the DPI or reported
delta to be as low as possible.

> Check the logs to see what it's detected as. Does the mouse work on any
> other machine? On any other operating system? Do other mice work OK on
> this system? And have you *tried* setting the mouse speed down?

The mouse works fine, other than the high DPI. It works the same in
Windows 7 at my neighbour's house. Here is the relevant info for it:

✈demios:~$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 004: ID 15d9:0a4c Trust International B.V.
✈demios:~$ dmesg
[ 8562.284072] usb 6-3: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
[ 8562.458359] input:  USB OPTICAL MOUSE as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb6/6-3/6-3:1.0/input/input9
[ 8562.458700] generic-usb 0003:15D9:0A4C.0007: input,hidraw6: USB HID
v1.11 Mouse [ USB OPTICAL MOUSE] on usb-0000:00:13.1-3/input0

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com