USB mouse stops working

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue May 31 04:24:29 UTC 2011

On 05/30/2011 09:34 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 31/05/11 06:38, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> I have a regular mouse attached to my laptop. Most of the time, this
>> arrangement works fine but occasionally this mouse stops working. The
>> built in mouse-pad still works. I really do not want to use the
>> mouse-pad because it is awkward for me. (Most of the time the laptop
>> is used like a desktop.)
>>
>> Does having two mice active on the same computer cause problems? (I
>> suspect that this is the case.) If so can I deactivate the mouse-pad
>> and use the USB mouse exclusively? By the way, I have not yet
>> determined what causes the USB mouse to stop working.
>
> Faulty mouse? Faulty cable? Cable plugged in properly?
>
> Also, if you have 2 devices using the same USB channel one will stop
> working while the other one is active. Is this a possibility?
>
> BC

If by chance you are running kde, you should be able to find and
download synaptiks--note the spelling--which will
allow you to kill off the scratchpad while the usb mouse is plugged in,
and then restore the scratchpad when the
usb mouse is removed, all without you doing anything else. I could never
find anything in the Gnome environment that
would do that.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley