Play music through Skype

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat May 28 00:25:53 UTC 2011

On 28/05/11 04:45, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 06:43 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
>>> I don't think that's a problem because that other person agreed to
>>> provide the bandwidth. According to the Skype EULA, Skype may use up all
>>> the available resources. Or at least that was my understanding of the
>>> EULA when I rejected it some years ago.
>>>

>>> Nils
>>>
>> We live out beyond the end of the fiber and wires. Our internet comes to
>> us via radio. Think of it as a kind of Super Wifi. Anyway, we have a
>> very close relationship with our ISP. We provide tower space and the
>> electricity to run his equipment which he sells service to others from.
>> In exchange we get free high speed internet service. He hates Skype.
>> It's a _MAJOR_ bandwidth hog. He will often throttle back someone that
>> uses Skype. A major hog like Skype slows down everyone else on the system.
> That was my point. When the technology is misunderstood, then it's just
> a magic tube to stuff a radio broadcast of "My Favorite Music" through,
> and every one else eats worms. On one hand, it would be an interesting
> intellectual effort to learn how to do so. On the other, if everyone did
> it, I wouldn't see my email for days. So, I agree with ole Ted Stevens,
> the Internet is not a truck, it's a series of tubes! ...and a tube has a
> limited/finite amount of capacity.
>
>> On the interesting side. Use of a magicJack doesn't even show up on the
>> network, I don't know how they do it but it uses virtualy no bandwidth
>> at all and call quality is excellent. Must be some kind of compression
>> algorithm.
> They would probably sell for 5 billion, since it seems to work. :) Ric

Methinks that you ought to be aware of this:

The post-acquisition outage.

Skype issued a manual workaround on Thursday to resolve a glitch that
prevented mostly Windows users from logging in.

The VoIP company, which Microsoft has agreed to pay US$8.5 billion for,
gave instructions on how to resolve the log-in problem by deleting a
“shared.xml” file.

“This predominantly affects people using Skype for Windows,” its
advisory stated
<http://heartbeat.skype.com/2011/05/problems_signing_into_skype_an.html>. Similar
instructions were given to Mac OS X and Linux users.

The rush to find out what went wrong also temporarily knocked Skype’s
website offline.

[more]

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/258746,skype-bug-blocks-mostly-microsoft-users.aspx

BC

--
Don't argue with an idiot, people may not see the difference.