11.04 install fail

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 27 16:26:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 18:34 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Tony Pursell
> <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > The reason why I suggested Unity 2D is that we will all have to get used
> > to Unity.  AFAIK Ubuntu Classic, which is based on Gnome version 2, will
> > not be available from version 11.10.  Only Unity desktops will be
> > available.  Gnome 2 is now unsupported and replaced with Gnome 3 which
> > has (as far as I know from comments by people like Mark Shuttleworth) a
> > similar desktop to Unity.  Ubuntu have pre-empted Gnome 3 with the Unity
> > desktop.  So Ubuntu had to do something to replace the old Gnome 2 shell
> > and chose to create Unity.
> >
> > So it is worthwhile installing the Unity 2D just to have a look at it.
> > You can install it from the Software Centre and it will be in the
>

> AFAIK Ubuntu 11.10 will come with GNOME 3 Shell too.
>
> My personal opinion is that GNOME 3 Shell is far superior to Unity, at
> least for now.
>

> Here are small informational videos about GNOME 3:
>
> http://www.gnome3.org

Thanks for that link - I see there are some good things in Gnome 3.
Maybe they will get into Unity and, apparently, Gnome3 has picked up
things from Unity as well.

The point remains, though, that the old 'Classic' look will not be found
in future Ubuntu releases.  Both Unity and Gnome 3 are the same kind of
desktop - a dash down the side, quick searching for apps instead of
menus, etc, etc.  So users need to get used to this new way of working.

Tony