xmodmap - where does it get default codes from?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 16:23:50 UTC 2011

On 26 May 2011 17:16, PleegWat <pleegwat at telfort.nl> wrote:
> On 05/26/2011 09:57 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 25 May 2011 23:18, Liam Proven<lproven at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I've tried using Xmodmap to remap my IBM "forward"
>>> and "next" keys, with no success. Using the Keyboard control panel in
>>> System Settings worked fine, though - well, to remap CapsLock as a
>>> Super key, anyway. It also let me enable AltGr as a Compose key on my
>>> beloved IBM Model M clicky keyboard from 1993 or so.
>>
>> It is not remapping that is the question, I have successfully done
>> that, I am trying to determine where xmodmap gets its default setup
>> from in order to find out why, after an upgrade to 11.04, it is wrong
>> in the first place.
>
> The keyboard layout is modified in several stages. In the GUI (or in X
> configuration files) you configure a base layout. The GUI also allows you to
> apply various changes to that base layout, such as the function of the
> windows keys. The .xmodmap changes are applied after those changes.
>
> This means that if one user had previously configured the left windows key
> to be a Multi_Key (also known as compose key), this would show up as a
> different 'default' or base layout for xmodmap.

Right, I think I understand.  If I had previously configured the left
Win key as the compose key, then I upgraded to 11.04 the left Win key
will not work as expected in Unity as the upgrade will not revert the
setting.  I wonder if this is what should happen or whether the
upgrade should revert it automatically so that Unity works as
expected.

Thanks.

Colin

Colin