xmodmap - where does it get default codes from?

PleegWat pleegwat at telfort.nl
Thu May 26 16:16:46 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 09:57 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 25 May 2011 23:18, Liam Proven<lproven at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I've tried using Xmodmap to remap my IBM "forward"
>> and "next" keys, with no success. Using the Keyboard control panel in
>> System Settings worked fine, though - well, to remap CapsLock as a
>> Super key, anyway. It also let me enable AltGr as a Compose key on my
>> beloved IBM Model M clicky keyboard from 1993 or so.
>
> It is not remapping that is the question, I have successfully done
> that, I am trying to determine where xmodmap gets its default setup
> from in order to find out why, after an upgrade to 11.04, it is wrong
> in the first place.

The keyboard layout is modified in several stages. In the GUI (or in X
configuration files) you configure a base layout. The GUI also allows
you to apply various changes to that base layout, such as the function
of the windows keys. The .xmodmap changes are applied after those changes.

This means that if one user had previously configured the left windows
key to be a Multi_Key (also known as compose key), this would show up as
a different 'default' or base layout for xmodmap.

PleegWat