Moving X from VT7 to VT12

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:54:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:13:03 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> Many thanks for this.
>
> I like the text with the original patch: "Force initial X server to go
> to tty7 instead of tty1. This is an Ugly Hack until we have a cleaner
> solution." And that was when Karmic was in development! And since then,
> it's just been renamed so there hasn't been a "cleaner" solution...

Debian has patch called 06_firstvt.patch for version 2.30.x which sets up
a configurable option FirstVT in the [daemon] section of gdm's conf file.
I'm not sure why Ubuntu choose not include that patch in their build.
Could be they simply don't know about it.

To me, though, the cleanest solution would have had upstream not removing
so many of gdm's configurable options from /etc/gdm/*.conf in the first
place.

--
sktsee