Unity & gnome-panels

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu May 19 00:15:30 UTC 2011

On 05/18/2011 05:47 PM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 17:26 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> On 05/18/2011 05:05 PM, Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
>>> At startup you can choose the "classic" form of Gnome. That is
>>> what I did and I feel very happy with it! For me also, the lack
>>> of a visible window-switcher is one of the raisons. I like to
>>> have 6 windows active so that I can easaly change from
>>> applications. Mayby it is also possible in Unity, but I did not
>>> find this feature then, but that could be just me? I look forward
>>> to your suggestions/experience/other input. Freddy
>>
>> From what I read here the "classic" form of Gnome will not be an
>> option in the not to distant future.  Because of this I have been
>> trying to get used to Unity but not having much luck.
>>
>> You can change the number of windows in Unity's window switcher but
>> it is not visible.  It is at the bottom end of the launcher and I
>> have to scroll down to see it, not very convenient.  I tried moving
>> it up towards the top where it at least it would be more accessible
>> but it will not stay up there.
>
> It appears to be the one completely unmovable object in the Launcher.
> It seems to always sit between the applications above it and the
> lenses below it.  You can move the applications round in their group
> and the lenses round in their group, but not mix them up.
>
> If you do want to activate the switcher, and cannot see it, hold
> down the Super (aka Windows) key and press S.

OK, thanks.  The next time I boot up my notebook with Unity on it I'll
give that a try.  From watching the videos and reading the posts here it
seems more and more like to be even remotely productive with Unity you
must commit to memory a bunch more keyboard shortcuts, something I
simply don't want to do.

Thanks,  Jim