Unity & gnome-panels

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed May 18 22:47:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 17:26 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 05/18/2011 05:05 PM, Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
> > At startup you can choose the "classic" form of Gnome. That is what I
> > did and I feel very happy with it! For me also, the lack of a
> > visible window-switcher is one of the raisons. I like to have 6
> > windows active so that I can easaly change from applications. Mayby
> > it is also possible in Unity, but I did not find this feature then,
> > but that could be just me? I look forward to your
> > suggestions/experience/other input. Freddy
>
>  From what I read here the "classic" form of Gnome will not be an option
> in the not to distant future.  Because of this I have been trying to get
> used to Unity but not having much luck.
>
> You can change the number of windows in Unity's window switcher but it
> is not visible.  It is at the bottom end of the launcher and I have to
> scroll down to see it, not very convenient.  I tried moving it up
> towards the top where it at least it would be more accessible but it
> will not stay up there.

It appears to be the one completely unmovable object in the Launcher. It
seems to always sit between the applications above it and the lenses
below it.  You can move the applications round in their group and the
lenses round in their group, but not mix them up.

If you do want to activate the switcher, and cannot see it, hold down
the Super (aka Windows) key and press S.