Tools to update exif? Better way to use Shotwell?

ssc1478 ssc1478 at aim.com
Mon May 16 11:25:32 UTC 2011

With the Ubuntu 10 releases, I used Picasa to manage my pictures. With
Natty, I am giving Shotwell a try.

When I imported my pictures, Shotwell automatically created events based on
the date the picture was created.  That worked fine for pictures I took with
a digital camera.  But a lot of my pictures I scanned.  Those pictures have
either no date or the scanned date in exif.

Shotwell has an option to adjust the picture date/time.  This is fine for a
few pictures.  But it is cumbersome if you've got hundreds like I do.  In
order to figure out the date I need to see the whole file name (when I
scanned them, I included the date taken in the file name). Shotwell's only
view (what I could find) is Icon View which means I can't see the whole file
name - even with the extended information popup, the file name is cut off.
 So for each image I want to change, I have to locate in Nautilus and switch
to List View to find out the date.

Are there any scripts for Nautilus that will allow changing the picture
date/time?  It would be great if I could right-click an image and change the
Date Taken value in exif.

The only tool I found via google is exiftools.  It is command line only.  I
am hoping to find a gui tool.

Thanks!

Phil