[11.10_Alpha1]-Will Classic Gnome Be An Option?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri May 6 18:10:19 UTC 2011

On 6 May 2011 19:00, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at aol.com> wrote:
> Will classic Gnome desktop be an option in upcoming Ubuntu 11.10?

That's not the plan, no.

The plan for 11.10 is to have Unity 3D by default, with Unity 2D as
the fallback.

GNOME Shell will be in the repository for installation, and I suspect
the traditional GNOME 2-panel interface will be possible too. Neither
of those will be 'default' though.

> If your at all curious on how my Ubuntu 11.04 64Bit desktop looks
> then take a quick look at this screenshot:
> http://16bitsoft.com/images/UbuntuDesktop05-06-2011ML2.png

I see no reason to think you won't be able to do something similar to
that in 11.10.

Given we only just released 11.04, and UDS starts next week, where
plans for 11.10 are laid out, it might be worth waiting and seeing
what happens before jumping ship.

Al.