Grub not working

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri May 6 00:21:22 UTC 2011

On 05/06/2011 08:06 AM, dave boland wrote:

> On Fri, 06 May 2011 06:41 +0800, "Goh Lip"<g.lip at gmx.com>  wrote:
>> On 05/06/2011 06:33 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>> Cool. I reckon that will help Tom&   Goh sort out the rest. Good luck:-)
>>>

>> Cop out.  :)
>>
>> Dave, try to manually boot Windows
>>
>> When booting up computer, press 'shift' key (to get to grub menu)
>> At grub menu, press 'c' (to get to grub prompt "grub>")
>> Type the following and press enter after each line
>> insmod fat
>> set root=(hd0,0)
>> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
>> chainloader +1
>
> After pressing Enter, I got the msg. "no such partition", which makes
> sense since Grub2 partitions are '1' based and Windows is on the first
> partition.
>
>> boot
>>
>> If this doesn't boot, try with
>>
>> insmod fat
>> set root=(hd0,1)
>> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
>> chainloader +1
>> boot
>
> No errors, but I go a blinking cursor (the under line char) in the upper
> left corner of the screen.  Would not boot Windows.
>
> While I'm thinking about it, when I select a Ubuntu menu choice, it
> takes almost 30 seconds before anything happens.  Is that normal?
>
> Dave,

Okay, Dave, a blinking cursor is better but let NoOp, Tom, Tony or
others give their views. I think your windows boot is broken but I am
not good in fixing windows boot, if that can be fixed or if all the
other Wins thingies are a-okay.

As to 30 sec boot, yes, slightly longer than what I am used to, but that
depends on your hardware too. If your hard drive is deteriorating, you
will get much much longer boots too before everything crashes.

Take care now, Dave and have a good weekend with your mother.

Regards - Goh Lip