Grub not working

dave boland dboland9 at fastmail.fm
Fri May 6 00:06:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 06 May 2011 06:41 +0800, "Goh Lip" <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 05/06/2011 06:33 AM, NoOp wrote:
> > Cool. I reckon that will help Tom&  Goh sort out the rest. Good luck:-)
> >

> Cop out.  :)
>
> Dave, try to manually boot Windows
>
> When booting up computer, press 'shift' key (to get to grub menu)
> At grub menu, press 'c' (to get to grub prompt "grub>")
> Type the following and press enter after each line
> insmod fat
> set root=(hd0,0)
> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
> chainloader +1

After pressing Enter, I got the msg. "no such partition", which makes
sense since Grub2 partitions are '1' based and Windows is on the first
partition.

> boot
>
> If this doesn't boot, try with
>
> insmod fat
> set root=(hd0,1)
> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
> chainloader +1
> boot

No errors, but I go a blinking cursor (the under line char) in the upper
left corner of the screen.  Would not boot Windows.

While I'm thinking about it, when I select a Ubuntu menu choice, it
takes almost 30 seconds before anything happens.  Is that normal?

Dave,
--
  dave boland
  dboland9 at fastmail.fm