Unity how to....

anlarye anlarye at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:51:26 UTC 2011

add "gnome-panel" to your start up applications, this will bring the
gnome-panels back, you can customize them from that point. I would turn off
the expand and turn on the auto hide.
those are panel applets and the top bar in unity isnt a gnome panel like we
are used to in previous versions of gnome.

hope that helps !