Unity how to....

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Wed May 4 03:23:52 UTC 2011

Earlier today I upgraded my notebook to Natty.  I have to say it
couldn't have gone smoother.  Now I have to figure out how to use it.

I had Glipper and Top Shelf on the top panel.  Now Glipper is still
there but Top Shelf is missing.  According to Snaptic it is still
installed.  How can I get it back on the top panel?

I have so many apps on the Launcher that I must scroll it down to see
the Workplace Switcher.  I make alot of use of the different workplaces
that used to be on the bottom panel.  I tried to move the Workplace
Switcher up where it would be more visible.  I can't drag it up.  I
tried moving other apps down under it to push it up, but no slot will
open beneath it. Any way to move it up?

I have Thinkpad with a Fn key on it I don't use, but no windows keys.  I
want to try to make the Fn key the super key.  I looked in the keyboard
and keyboard shortcuts but didn't see a way to change it.  Is there a
central location to change Unity preferences?

My biggest complaint is what they did with the scroll bars.  At first I
could only get them to pop up by accident. Then I noticed the thin
colored vertical line and realized how to activate them.  I can see no
way to grab them with the mouse and drag them up or down.  Also clicking
on an arrow and holding down the button does not scroll them. To get any
scrolling I must tap the mouse button.

Regards,  Jim