Unity breaks basic UI principles

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Wed May 4 02:03:38 UTC 2011

On Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:31:31 am Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I know all that, I can do it. Why force people to download several ISOs?
> Will they understand there are other UIs (remember Windows and Mac
> OS  users  never got any choice about their UI).
>
> So of course it can continue as it is. I just think it could be better
> with  one install CD and a choice. But maybe I'm the only one...

No, not the only one.  What the average user thinks is that each user
interface is a separate distro.  It is not.  All of these UIs sit on the
Ubuntu engine.  You should not be able to break it by just choosing a different
UI.  For some reason or other Gnome users believe they are the only users of
Ubuntu.  KDE users think they are the only users of Ubuntu.  Xfce users think
they are the only users of Ubuntu and on it goes.  Fact is one machine has no
problem at all providing any or all of these!!  All of the desktops can be
installed on the machine giving the user his choice on boot up!  Wow!  What a
Linux thing to do!!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403