Dell ispiron 530 video question

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Mar 29 15:30:35 UTC 2011

On Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:32:36 am Linda wrote:
> I have a Dell ispiron 530 desktop that came with 8.04 LTS. I
> have upgraded it to 10.04 LTS and the person using it says
> it keeps giving her a graphics error requiring her to
> reboot. I told her to write down the error message for me
> the next time. Anyway I started looking through the
> paperwork that came with it but could not find out anything
> about its graphics card. Has anyone had to do anything
> special with their ispirion 530 since they upgraded to
> 10.04? Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Don't know what causes it but on my Inpiron 1525n, I get an error like that.
I then need to restartx and then it comes up and works fine until the next
kernel update.  Then I have to do the same thing again.  My guess is that x is
somehow started too soon in the boot sequence after a kernel update but I
really don't know what the problem is or why re-starting x after the fact fixes
it.  It must rewrite something somewhere but what and where, I don't know.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403