hibernate with swap+swapfile?

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Mon Mar 28 13:07:33 UTC 2011

hi,

i am going to upgrade my RAM this week from 4 to 12 GB. Since my swap
partition is only 4,5GB in size I will have to increase the swap space
because I want to use the hibernate on this machine.

I would like to know, if creating a swapfile of around 8GB and adding it
to fstab is all I need to do?

Will ubuntu use both, the swap partition and the swap file?

Since I only need the swapfile for hibernate a solution which creates
the swap file would be more elegant. Possible?

I am using ubuntu 10.04 with all updates applied.

Thanks for your advice,

Franz