Sound problem no speakers

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 00:36:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 09:23 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 11:46 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 23:19 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I removed PA Chooser, followed with the suggested "autoremoves"
> >> suggested, tried alsactrl init (to reset everything.  No joy on reboot.
> >> After searching some more I found a number of similar sounding bugs on
> >> launchpad.  All ended with something like "fixed in lucid."  Finding
> >> nothing else, I filed a bug.  FOr anyone interested, it is Bug #74289.
> >> I'll post back if I get a solution.  But still interested if anyone has
> >> thoughts.
> > That is just plain weird. Does sound work after you reset everything,
> > and lose it on reboot every time? Darn strange. Sorry I couldn't help
> > ya. What version are you running again?
>
> Lucid, w/ all updates.
>
> > Did you upgrade, and if so, from
> > what to what?
>
> IIRC The first install on this box was Karmic.  At least that is the
> "CDRom" listed in the system repositories.
> > You might have some old un-used alsa cruft (dot-files
> > or /etc alsa configuration files) floating around from an earlier
> > install. I have none on my 10.4 install, I just checked. No .asoundrc
> > files like there used to be. Good luck! Ric
> >

> That could be, but in my "travels" looking at this issue I have not
> found any suggestions about that as a potential issue or what to look
> for.  Any ideas about what might need to be cleaned?

Yup, I had problems with pulse in karmic, but I now attribute that to
having installed Kubuntu, with it's sound system oddities. But, I always
do clean installs and never re-install the config dotfiles back from my
backup of /home, except for .mozilla and .evolution. Myself, if there is
nothing mission critical on your install, I'd re-install cleanly. Even
the ext filesystem and grub got updated in a major way between karmic
and Lucid. You must have some old dead audio configuration file floating
around in there. Try getting rid of any .asound* files in your home
directory and the asound.conf (I think that is what it was) in /etc/
that may be left over from karmic. Trouble shooting with a shotgun, Ric

Linux user# 44256