Sound problem no speakers

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 16:17:18 UTC 2011

On 03/26/2011 08:24 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 02:46 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 23:19 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I removed PA Chooser, followed with the suggested "autoremoves"
>>> suggested, tried alsactrl init (to reset everything.  No joy on reboot.
>>> After searching some more I found a number of similar sounding bugs on
>>> launchpad.  All ended with something like "fixed in lucid."  Finding
>>> nothing else, I filed a bug.  FOr anyone interested, it is Bug #74289.
>>> I'll post back if I get a solution.  But still interested if anyone has
>>> thoughts.
>> That is just plain weird. Does sound work after you reset everything,
>> and lose it on reboot every time? Darn strange. Sorry I couldn't help
>> ya. What version are you running again? Did you upgrade, and if so, from
>> what to what? You might have some old un-used alsa cruft (dot-files
>> or /etc alsa configuration files) floating around from an earlier
>> install. I have none on my 10.4 install, I just checked. No .asoundrc
>> files like there used to be. Good luck! Ric
>>
> Did you try
>
> alsactl store
>
> after making settings in alsamixer?

Yup, that did not change anything.  Something is happening to
affirmatively change those settings back.

>   I think that was the fix pre-Lucid,
> anyway, and it worked for me then.  I don't seem to need anything now,
> although I do find sound a bit erratic in recognising the mic in my
> webcam.
That reminds me, this machine also has a problem recognizing the built
in Mic.  (Doesn't work at all)  I can plug a mic and it works fine.
Probably not related, but I wonder if I should add a note to the bug report?