Network printing

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Mar 23 15:36:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 04:02 +0000, Rein wrote:
> Hi,
> I wish to print from xp to Ubuntu.

These are my notes from a couple of years back. I've not had to do it in
a while:-

Windows XP desktops:-

With a text editor, open C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and add a
hostname and the IP address of the print server.

Click Start->ControlPanel and select Printers and Faxes.
Click Add a Printer->Next, Network Printer->Next.
Select "Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office
network:"
In the URL box, enter http://hostname:631/classes/classname and click
the next button.

Or, you might want to use printers rather than classes. Depends on how
you set up the server. If I recall correctly, you can add any printer(s)
to a class, doesn't matter what they are, and CUPS will sort it out.
Then, if you want to change a printer, the desktops don't need to care.

Select on the left, Manufacturer Generic, and on the right, MS Publisher
Imagesetter and click OK.
This driver selection sends out Postscript, i.e. it cares not what the
manufacturer or model of the printer is. It just needs to know what the
paper size is.

If paper size larger than A3 e.g. A2 is needed, a "hack" is necessary.
Look in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 Delete MSGENBW.BPD
and edit MSGENBW.PPD to add the A2 or whatever other missing paper size
is needed. See the included example. The deleted MSGENBW.BPD will then
be rebuilt from the new MSGENBW.PPD when the driver is used.

I was never able to get it to work with vista and I've never tried with
7.